How Does It Work?
- You and your spouse will each retain your own Collaborative Family Law Lawyer.
- You, your spouse and your respective Collaborative Family Law Lawyers agree to work together - to collaborate - in an atmosphere of mutual respect and team problem solving - a settlement focused process.
- You, your spouse and your respective Collaborative Family Law Lawyers will sign a contract agreeing to work together with the sole objective being to reach a fair and comprehensive agreement. The emphasis is on creating lasting solutions.
The signed contract includes agreement:
- TO NOT GO TO COURT.
- To cooperate by disclosing all relevant information including financial documents.
- To not use threats of Court proceedings.
- To be honest and respectful of each other and reduce emotional situations.
- To, perhaps, mutually engage other professionals to assist with particularly difficult issues.
- To focus on achieving a mutually acceptable agreement covering all issues in a non-adversarial approach.
- You and your spouse's Collaborative Family Law Lawyers will provide each of you with independent legal advice and represent your individual interest in the usual fashion but in the spirit of cooperation.
- Your respective Collaborative Family Law Lawyers will manage the Collaborative Family Law process and will work together to help the two of you towards a mutually satisfactory agreement.
- Upon agreement being reached both Collaborative Family Law Lawyers will help with the finalization of formal documents including, where necessary, appropriate Court approval.
Sample Collaborative Agreement